Head of Humanities Department (2011 – present) Wesley College
Leading the Humanities team in the implementation of the MYP and the Australian National Curriculum. Staff management and coordination of Professional Development. Curriculum development using Rubicon Curriculum Mapping. Leading meetings, liaising with Head of Schools and Head of Campus. Communicating with parents, staff and members of the community. Teaching Year 11 and 12 IB History and a Middle School Humanities class.
Teacher of Humanities, History and IT in the Senior and Middle School (April 2008 – February 2011) Wesley College.
Teaching Humanities, incl History, Geography, Politics in Yr 7 – 10, VCE History (Senior 20th Century History). IT teacher (web design, animation, media production and game programming). ESL subject support.
Common Room Association President (February 2016 – present)
Staff contact person for workplace issues. Organising of social events, briefings and meetings. Liaising with Human Resources department, Head of Campus, consultative committees.
Dutch teacher (2004 – 2009)
I raised our two children and worked part-time at the following schools:
- Council of Adult Education (Feb 2007 – March 2009)
- VCE teacher (Senior high school), Victorian School of Languages (Feb 2004 – Dec 2007)
- University of Melbourne Summer School (Feb 2007 – July 2007)
Teacher of English as a Second Language, as part of the Cambridge/RSA Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (April 2000)
Intensive ESL teaching to adults at Holmesglen TAFE. (CELTA)
Teacher Media Workshops, MediaMinds, Melbourne (March 1998 – Oct 2000)
Teaching media production in a hands-on Media Workshop, for primary and secondary school students. The result of each full-day workshop was a 5 minute promotional video produced by the students themselves. I co-wrote the teaching materials and was involved in developing new workshops.
Project Manager for SEO Software, Trellian, Melbourne, (Oct 2000 – June 2001)
Marketing and selling Search Engine Optimisation software via the Internet. Designing and maintaining websites. This job allowed me to consolidate my IT skills; I mastered HTML, became proficient in a range of software packages and also gained an insight into the basics of programming. I worked with programmers and marketers and helped pioneer SEO software in new markets.
News Reporter and Editor TV West, The Hague, The Netherlands (Jan 1997 – Dec 1997)
Writing, preparing and presenting news reports for the daily TV news bulletin for TV West. As a journalist my love for language flourished, I honed my people skills, trained in the use of media hardware and software and learnt to work under pressure to meet daily deadlines.
2007 – 2008
Postgraduate Certificate in Educational Studies (International Baccalaureate), Diploma Programme, Melbourne University. (Info here)
2000 – 2004
Graduate Diploma of Education (Secondary), Monash University. Methods: Studies of Society and Environment (Humanities) and Media Studies.
Completed the Cambridge/RSA Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults at Holmesglen TAFE
Bachelor degree in History and Journalism, at the University of Applied Sciences, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
Personal skills, professional skills and achievements
- Proven organisational skills: Head of Humanities Department, Common Room president, I have organised Medieval Days, many Geography excursions, History trips, student dinners, as well as a large excursion for 215 Year 10 students to the Melbourne CBD.
- Joint recipient of the 2014 Geography Teachers Association Victoria Alex Lyne Fieldwork Award for a best-practice Geography Fieldwork to Hanging Rock.
- Attended the following IB workshops:
IB History IA new course, IB MYP Humanities (Cat 3), IB MYP Humanities (Cat 2), IB DP History, IB DP Internal Assessment, IB MYP Personal Project, IB DP History (Cat 3),
- Other workshops attended:
Change leadership in Education with Michael Fullan, Concept based learning with Lynn Ericson, Teaching with approaches to learning with Lance King
- Participated in an intensive coaching program for effective leadership, by Opic Leadership and Deakin University (Future Leader Assessment Report available upon request).
- Presenter at the HTAV (History Teacher Association of Victoria) Annual Conference and VCE Conferences.
- Presenter at several Teachmeets
- Co-founder of the Twitter chat #histedchat for history teachers
- Implementing the MYP framework in the Humanities Department in conjunction with the Australian National Curriculum
- Used ‘Understanding by Design’ and ‘Rubicon Atlas Curriculum Mapping’ to help rewrite Middle School Humanities curriculum.
- Extended Essay Supervisor for IB History students.
- Editing and publishing the Middle School Publication “The Lions Pause”, a once a term magazine for Middle School students
- Moodle expert, providing Moodle training for colleagues.
- Provided IT and Web 2 Professional Development modules for staff
- Assisted in obtaining an AGQTP government grant for classroom IT integration
- Participated in an AGQTP project on Open Classrooms.
- I always strive to improve and I manage my own an active online professional learning network.
- Provided pastoral care as a Homeroom teacher in Year 7 to 12.
- Assistant Basketball coach for the Year 10 B Basketball team
- Organised and ran the annual Year 7 Medieval days
- Fluent in Dutch, good understanding of German and French
- I’m an easy going, happy person with excellent social skills.
Relevant websites I have created
A site containing my tips and tricks for integrating IT and online technology in lessons. This site was originally created for a presentation at the HTAV (History Teachers Association Victoria) in June 2013. (permalink)
This is the site you are currently on. It highlights my achievements and my approach to the teaching profession. It provides an overview of what I have done so far in my career. I aim to keep this site up to date to provide myself with a tool for reflection and self-evaluation.
This site contains detailed information to guide IB History students through their Internal Assessment and help them achieve success in this important element of their course.
A course information site for my IB History class.
This is a site I used as a learning tool for myself while I studying the International Baccalaureate at the University of Melbourne. Using a website such as this enables me to maintain overview of my studies, my readings and interesting links.
VIT registration number: upon request
Last updated: August 2017